Our complaints performance
Every year we publish a Complaints Report, where we look at the number of complaints we received across the year (from October to September), why we received them, and what we can do to improve our performance.
For us, complaints are the acid test of customer service – and we’ve had the lowest number of complaints of any energy company in Britain, on average, since records began.
You can read our full report in the link on this page, and you can see how we compare with the Big Six energy companies in the table below. As you'll see, we have three times fewer complaints than even the best performing of the Big Six.
Ecotricity vs. the Big Six
|Company name||Complaints per 1,000 customers (2016)|
Our quarterly results
Our annual complaints give you the best overall indicator of our complaints performance, but you can see how many complaints we received and resolved each quarter in the table below too.
(Q1 = January to March, Q2 = April to June, Q3 = July to September, Q4 = October to December)
|Period||Complaints received||Received per 100K accounts||Complaints resolved||Resolved per 100K accounts||Resolved same or next working day||Resolved within 8 weeks|
Top reasons for complaints
We also categorise all of the complaints we receive so we can see exactly where we need to improve to make our customer service even better. Here are the main reasons our customers have complained, as a percentage of the total complaints we received.
|Reason||Q2 2018||Q1 2018||Q4 2017||Q3 2017||Q2 2017||Q1 2017||Q4 2016||Q3 2016||Q2 2016||Q1 2016||Q4 2015||Q3 2015||Q2 2015||Q1 2015||Q4 2014|
|Customer set up||7%||7%||8%||5%||8%||10%||7%||7%|
- Billing: Including challenges to bill amounts, understanding information on bills, and queries relating to tariffs
- Customer Service: Feedback about the information we provide or the actions we take when our customers call us, write to us or send us an email
- Credit Management: Relating to overdue bills and payment plans
- Payments: Covering payments, refunds and Direct Debits
- Prepayment/Pay As You Go: all queries relating to installing or running prepayment meters, including voluntary or forced installation, debt, top up cards and keys etc
- Metering: all issues relating to meters, such as appointments, loss of supply, meter exchanges, cost of meter tests etc
- Customer set up: Regarding new customer details, including sign up information and meter details
- Communications/Correspondence: This includes issues around any marketing material, and any communications to customers either written or verbal
- Transfers: Relating to home moves, for both customer leaving us and new customers moving into a property we supply.
What we’re doing to improve our service
To further improve our service, we introduced online account access for our customers last year – for their desktop or smartphone. You can now submit your meter readings, and view and pay your bills online – wherever you are and whenever you feel like it.
On top of that, we’ve also begun our Smart meter rollout, which will eliminate the biggest bugbear for all energy customers – billing and meter reading. On average, around 90 per cent of all energy supply problems in the UK relate to billing and meter readings. Smart meters will ensure bills are always accurate and never estimated, and customers will no longer have to submit meter readings, or wait for someone to come and read their meter either.
These two things are a key part of our evolution into a 21st century energy company.
And check out our previous complaint reports for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016: