Ecotricity logotype
/Our news/2021/A statement from our founder, Dale Vince, on the energy crisis

Our news

Article tags
Article tags
  • energy
  • news
Browse archives
Our news

A statement from our founder, Dale Vince, on the energy crisis

Press enquiries

If you are a journalist with a media enquiry, please contact our Press Office on 01453 761 318 or you can email pressoffice@ecotricity.co.uk

For all other general enquiries, please call 01453 756 111 or email home@ecotricity.co.uk.

Sep 21, 2021

A statement from our Founder:

Hi there,

I spent most of yesterday talking to Britain’s media about the energy crisis.

I’m sure you are aware of it - you couldn’t miss it. There’s been so much coverage around the rising price of gas and electricity and the knock on impact of several energy companies already going bust - with more expected to follow.

It’s important to know that these companies did not hedge their electricity and gas supplies, meaning they did not secure them in advance - as such they gambled on market prices - and lost.

As I said in several interviews yesterday, Ecotricity has hedged its electricity and gas supplies, it’s the proper way to do things and how we operate. We have 90% of our requirement bought in advance for 12 months, the other 10% is not available until closer to the point of delivery.

We are thus protected to the maximum possible. We are exposed for that 10% and also in something known as the balancing market where prices have increased four-fold. But this exposure is a fraction of what it is for unhedged companies. We are the longest-established independent energy company in the Britain, and well used to these periodic energy market crises.

We’re in as good a position as we can be – and our trading team are keeping a close eye on the situation.

Thanks for being with us.

Dale Vince
Founder

PS – I spoke to Jon Snow on Channel 4 News about the crisis.

Similar articles

Ecotricity explains: Making gas from grass

Right now, we’re working on a really exciting project, the first green gas mill in Britain – turning grass into gas that can be used in standard boilers to heat our homes and fight the climate crisis.

More

Ecotricity explains: COP26

The world is facing a climate emergency with extreme weather events, flooding and wildfires becoming more common with devastating consequences for both people and the natural world.

Turning coal mines into hot water mines

To beat the climate crisis, we need to be clever in the way we use the green energy that’s all around us

Get the book!

Manifesto out now

Shop

Zerocarbonista.com

Our founder Dale Vince shares his thoughts on the green revolution

Explore the site

Don’t just take our word for it…

Ecotricity is recommended by
  • Our story
  • Our mission
  • Our manifesto
  • 25 years of Ecotricity
  • Ecotricity innovation
  • Walking the talk
  • Our partners
  • Our news
Ecotricity logotype
Jobs

Climate Clock

The Climate Clock is a version of the Doomsday clock that has been running since 1947 - this tracks the risk of global man-made disaster, through man made technology (like nuclear weapons) - displaying the minutes and seconds left before midnight, when disaster strikes. The climate crisis is a small part of the calculations made.
The climate clock uses a similar approach, but, focuses only on the climate crisis - which is the biggest and most urgent existential threat we face.
"The Climate Clock is a countdown to the biggest man-made disaster we face - but also a measure by which we can track our progress - moving from fossil to renewable energy. It shows we have no time to lose - the clock is ticking…" Dale Vince, OBE.
Ecotricity is a sponsor of the Glasgow Climate Clock that will run every night until COP26.