Ecotricity tops Energy Industry Customer Service table
Ecotricity continues to have the best customer service in the energy industry, according to the latest ratings from the Citizens Advice.
The Citizens Advice ratings online tool, which launched earlier this year, allows people to compare energy companies’ customer service at a glance – based on complaints handling, ease of contact, bill clarity and switching.
Ecotricity received five stars in four out of five categories: ease of contact, ease of switching, bill clarity and switch guarantee – and improved its already table-topping rating from 4.15 to 4.4 out of five.
The company has had the lowest number of complaints on average since records began, and is continuing to invest in its industry-leading customer service – with some big developments on the way, including:
- Introducing new levels of behind-the-scenes automation, which will enable customer service staff to dedicate more time to customer satisfaction
- Bringing in more self-service opportunities for customers to make managing their energy account easier than ever before
Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, said: “We put lots of effort into making our customer service the very best, and these independent numbers show how it’s continuing to improve as we develop our digital presence – the app, online services and social media. We’re constantly looking to evolve and improve the experience people get from Ecotricity.
For a long time, we’ve heard that people wanted to compare energy businesses on more than just price. To them, greenness and customer service are really important factors in their decision making process. You will see greenness and customer service going hand-in-hand, as both are the result of an approach that’s driven by ethics, not the bottom line.
With the government complete ditching the green agenda and resorting to fracking, we’ve seen thousands of people switching to green energy as a way to vote with their energy bills.”
The Citizens Advice customer service tool uses a star rating system from 1 to 5, with the number of stars awarded to each supplier based on a combination of different factors:
- Complaints – how well energy suppliers handle customer complaints
- Ease of switching – number of switches the supplier successfully carries out within 21 days
- Ease of contact – how highly people rate their supplier’s customer service
- Bill clarity – how easy people find it to understand their bills
- Switch Guarantee – whether the supplier is signed up to the switch guarantee that commits them to switching a customer within 21 days.
The criteria were developed by Citizens Advice using research carried out with customers who were asked what they valued most from their energy supplier – the tool will be updated quarterly with the latest information and star rating.
The Citizens Advice ratings for January to March 2017 were:
|Supplier||Star rating January to March 2017|
|E (Gas and Electricity)||4.1|
|Green Star Energy||2.85|