Vegan sausage rolls
Animal agriculture is responsible for 14.5% of global emissions, so reducing the amount of meat in your diet is a great way to have a positive impact on the environment. There are health benefits too, as experts advise eating less red meat and little, if any, processed meat.
Small changes - such as having one meat-free day a week - can make a big difference and may also lead to a bigger shift in eating habits.
So why not try Meat Free Monday – to help here's a great recipe for delicious vegan sausage rolls!
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 large white onion (finely chopped)
200g chopped mushroom of choice - I’d go for a fancier one like Shiitake, or even Oyster
3-4 Sprigs of thyme (can use dried herbs)
2 tbsp of tamari or soy sauce
100g cashews (pulsed in a food processor until you get a breadcrumb like texture)
Vegan puff pastry of choice (make it yourself if you’re really talented)
Sesame seeds (optional topping)
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan with the finely chopped onion and garlic, leave to cook down for two minutes
- Add the mushrooms with the thyme and tamari/soy sauce and let it cook down
- Add the cashew crumbs to the pan and the mixture should the start to thicken into a ‘sausage stuffing’ texture
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut into appropriate sizes for mini sausage rolls
- Let the pan mixture cool down and then squish together in your hands into ‘sausages’. Put the ‘sausages’ on top of your puff pastry
- Roll the puff pastry over the top of the sausage mixture. Score the top of the pastry and brush a little oil over the top - you can also add some sesame seeds if you’d like
- Bake in the oven according to the packet puff pastry instructions
We hope you enjoy making these, we’re sure you’ll enjoy eating them!