Meat Free Monday - recipe #3
If you’re thinking about going vegan but aren’t quite ready to take the plunge, why not give Meat Free Mondays a go? It’s a great way to start trying some plant-based recipes and dramatically reduce your carbon footprint.
Here’s our recipe for a vegan spaghetti bolognese – you won’t even miss the meat!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion (finely chopped)
1 large carrot (finely chopped)
1 celery stick (finely chopped)
1 garlic clove (minced)
400g cooked green lentils (drained and rinsed)
400g chopped tomatoes
175ml glass of Merlot
1 tbsp tomato puree
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper (to taste)
½ tsp unrefined caster sugar
150g whole wheat spaghetti
Vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat your olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery. Leave it to cook down for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are nicely softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the glass of Merlot and cook for a few minutes, until the mixture has reduced.
- Throw in the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, dried mixed herbs, and unrefined caster sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil and taste – this is a good time to add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Turn the hob down to low, cover the pan with a lid, and leave the mixture to simmer for half an hour. You may need to add a splash of water to the mixture and check it periodically to stop it sticking.
- After 30 minutes, add the lentils to the pan. Let the mixture cook for another 20 minutes with the lid off – this gives the lentils time to take on the flavour of the sauce.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook your spaghetti according to the packet instructions (12-15 minutes).
- Drain your spaghetti in a colander once it’s cooked, reserving some of the pasta water in a mug. Add your pasta to the bolognese mixture, adding a few splashes of pasta water as you go to bring the whole dish together.
- Serve in big pasta bowls and garnish with fresh pepper and a grating of vegan parmesan.