Party like it’s 1899 at Larmer Tree Festival
Deep in the ancient woodlands of the Cranbourne Chase lie the Larmer Tree Gardens. During their first creation in Victorian times, music and entertainment were important features, with singing, plays and poetry recitals entertaining over 44,000 visitors a year by 1899. In the evening the gardens were illuminated by thousands of lights, and there was dancing in the open air. The novelist and poet, Thomas Hardy, described it as “quite the prettiest sight I ever saw in my life”. However, following the death of the owner in 1900, the gardens closed.
Fast forward a century later, and the party has started once again with the creation of the Larmer Tree Festival. An intimate and eccentric festival that’s perfect for first-timers and experienced festival-goers alike. It’s small by choice, being enjoyed by up to 4,000 revellers a day, which means they’re able to keep their unique party experience. And as an independent festival, there are no outside forces that influence it, allowing the festival team to develop an event entirely of their own creation.
Larmer Tree runs from 19 – 22 July and has a wide array of musical acts performing. There’s also plenty of experiences to be enjoyed and the team at Larmer Tree gave us a glimpse of just some of the diverse attractions on offer:
- Discover native and exotic flora, fauna and wildlife in the historic Victorian pleasure garden on an exclusive ramble with the Head Gardener
- Find hidden golden tickets to win a unique musical experience deep in the woods
- Dance your way to the Discothèque, a party in the woods under a canopy of stars, only with a twist... it’s a silent disco party
- Relax in the Larmer Spa – with outdoor, wood-fired hot tubs, holistic workshops and a range of therapies
- Celebrate a centenary of women’s suffrage and the right to vote at the main stage on Saturday – fronted by some amazing women including First Aid Kit and Tune Yards.
We love the sound of Larmer Tree Festival – and we can’t wait to go. And if you switch to green energy from Ecotricity while you’re at the festival, you’ll receive a festival survival kit crammed full of goodies to celebrate.