The Electric Highway: Our Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions tell you everything you need to know about what you should expect from us and what we expect from you when using the Electric Highway network (“Electricity Pumps”).
When you sign up to use The Electric Highway, you agree to these terms and conditions.
We’ve tried to make the document as easy as possible to understand, but if anything doesn’t make sense, just get in touch with us.
If you’re unable to access one of our pumps, you can contact us on 01453 761455 between 8:00am and 8:00pm Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm Saturday.
Using the Electricity Pumps
1. To use our Electricity Pumps, you need to register for The Electric Highway App (the “App”). There are some terms and conditions for the App too – you can find them below (the “App Terms”).
2. You can find out the location and availability of the nearest Electricity Pump using the App.
3. Other than for the possible reasons explained in paragraph 4 below, all of our Electricity Pumps are live and capable of dispensing a charge for a maximum of 45 minutes for each session.
4. We aim to make our Electricity Pumps available at all times, but due to the nature of electrical charging services we cannot guarantee a continuous fault free service. Electricity Pumps may not be available due to electrical faults, telecommunication issues, temporary obstructions, as well as other conditions beyond our control. The network is extremely reliable, but obviously there may be occasions when they’re not working or require maintenance without notice.
5. We want to make sure there is reasonable use of the Electric Highway at all times, so you should promptly vacate the parking bay in which the Electricity Pump is located once you have finished charging your vehicle.
6. These are pretty obvious ones, but you must not:
a. tamper with the Electricity Pumps;
b. use the Electricity Pumps or the parking bay in which they are located for any purpose other than charging an electric vehicle;
c. connect any cable, adapter, connector, switch or other interface to an Electricity Pump which is not fit for purpose, and/or fully compliant with all relevant laws, regulations and specifications and any such use shall be entirely at your own risk;
d. use the Services in any manner which is (or which would have a purpose or effect which is) harmful, a nuisance, annoying, disruptive, inconvenient, unlawful, fraudulent or in connection with a criminal offence; or
e. act in any way such that the operation of the Electric Highway or any Electricity Pumps will be either jeopardised or impaired.
7. Different vehicles charge up at different rates, so you acknowledge that we have no control over the speed at which your own vehicle charges, or the amount of charge your battery can hold, whether in total or following a normal 45 minute charging session.
Prices and payment
8. We think our pricing structure is fair and flexible. It’s pretty simple too. To use an Electricity Pump you’ll just pay a price per kWh of energy used.
9. You can find the up to date prices on the Electric Highway App. All prices are inclusive of VAT.
10. You’ll need to pay the unit charge by a debit or credit card.
11. Payment is required in advance, and so you agree that we can hold a payment £12 (or £6 for Ecotricity energy customers) (‘Reserved Payment’) to cover the charge session. On completion of the charge we will request payment for the units you have used only. The Reserved Payment may show as held by your bank for up to six working days from the date of the charge.
Right of refusal
12. Electric vehicle drivers are a pretty ethical bunch, and frequently share our values. However, we do reserve the right to suspend access to the Electricity Pumps immediately if:
a. you breach any of these terms and conditions;
b. we believe an Electricity Pump has been used in an unauthorised, unlawful or fraudulent manner or may have been used for criminal activities;
c. there is an emergency, health and safety or security risk;
d. if for any reason we cease to operate an Electricity Pump or;
e. system maintenance is required;
f. for any other reason outside our control.
Changes to these terms
13. These terms and conditions guide the use of the Electric Highway, and it’s what you agree to when you sign up – but we do reserve the right to amend them at any time, if we need to. There are a few reasons why we might make some changes:
a. where a third party changes their terms;
b. due to changing technologies, obsolescence and new or different product or service features; or
c. due to the introduction of new or amended laws, regulations, policies or guidance.
14. Where we vary or change any of these terms and conditions, we’ll always do our best to give you as much notice as possible. Variations and/or changes will be effective once we’ve posted them on our website. By continuing to use the Electric Highway, you will be deemed to have accepted the relevant variation or change, so do take the opportunity to regularly check our website for updates. Where, in our opinion, any variation and/or change is likely to cause you material detriment, we’ll always give you at least 30 days’ notice.
15. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit or exclude our liability for personal injury or death arising as a result of our negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation. Subject to this, neither we nor any of our respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees will be liable to you whether as a result of negligence, breach of contract or otherwise for:
a. a failure of an Electricity Pump or changes to the number or locations of our Electric Pumps;
b. third party damage to Electricity Pumps, vehicles or any other third party property;
c. the acts and omissions of our service partners including any loss or damage caused by your use of a third party cable, adapter, connector, switch or other interface which you have connected to an Electricity Pump;
d. any matter beyond our reasonable control, including force majeure; or
e. any indirect loss, loss of business, revenue, profit, or savings you expected to make, wasted expense, financial loss or data being lost or harmed or any other loss or consequential loss.
16. Subject to clause 14 and excluding any liability for death or personal injury, our liability, and the liability of our parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents and employees, to you is in any event limited to £10
17. You agree to indemnify us against all liabilities, claims, damages, losses and expenses arising from any breach by you of these terms and conditions.
18. Nothing in these terms shall affect any rights which you may have under any law and which cannot be excluded by agreement and your statutory rights are not affected.
Your personal information
19. To register for the App, you’ll need to provide the following (Personal Information):
- Full name;
- Email address;
- Phone number;
- Car registration number;
- Car make and model; and
- any personal identifier we have provided you with (your “Eco ID”)
20. We’ll retain and use your consumption data from your use of the Electric Highway – because it helps us to see how the Electricity Pumps are being used and gives us the insight we need to make improvements to the network.
21. Keeping your Personal Information up to date is important to maintain the security of your account, and it is your responsibility to let us know of any change to your Personal Information.
22. We will use your Personal Information to:
a. verify your identity when you contact us. We may monitor calls to make sure that we are meeting our legal and regulatory requirements and for staff training;
b. help us set up and otherwise administer your account;
c. contact you in any way (including by e-mail, phone, SMS or other forms of electronic communication) with up to date information on products and special offers from us and any companies in the same group as us or affiliates with which we have a partnership (unless you have specifically asked us not to);
d. for market and statistical analysis;
e. for demonstrating and testing the Electricity Pumps and any related computer systems; and
f. help detect and manage debt, fraud and loss.
23. You can opt out of marketing by emailing email@example.com or by writing to the Data Protection Officer, Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 3BY.
24. If you’d like to see a copy of the information that we hold about you, just write to The Data Protection Officer, Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 3BY. An administrative charge of £10 may be payable.
25. For the purposes of administering your account, we may send information to companies based outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). If we do, we’ll ensure that adequate protection is in place to ensure that your information is processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1984
26. These terms and conditions, together with the App Terms, constitute the entire agreement between you and us in relation to our Electricity Pumps. You agree that you have not relied on, and shall have no remedies in respect of, any representation, arrangement, understanding or agreement (whether written or oral) which is not expressly set out in these terms and conditions.
27. This agreement is subject to English law and the English Courts have exclusive jurisdiction
The Electric Highway Company Limited a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08370340 with their registered office at Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 3BY
Promotion: Half price charging for customers of Ecotricity
1. The Promoter is The Electric Highway Company Limited, Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, GL5 3BY
2. The offer is open to mainland UK residents aged 18 and over with a live Ecotricity domestic dual fuel account (or electricity only where there is no mains gas) at their home address.
3. There is only one offer per person per household, and it is for personal private use of the Electric Highway.
4. This offer is not available to business customers.
5. The offer is subject to your reasonable use of the Electric Highway in accordance with our terms and conditions and any other guidance published on our App If we consider that your use is unreasonable we may terminate this offer immediately.
6. There is no cash alternative and the offer is non-transferable.
7. We may vary or withdraw this offer at any time without prior notice.
* your energy account will be with The Renewable Energy Company Limited (trading as Ecotricity)
Our Refund Policy
Great customer service is not rocket science. It’s about having an honest and straightforward relationship with our customers. It’s about keeping our promises and fixing problems quickly when they occur.
The Electric Highway is the most comprehensive charging network in Europe – and we think it’s the best.
However, if something goes wrong at the pump and you think you require a refund, just get in touch with us. Here’s our policy:
Under what circumstances will you provide a refund?
We’ll refund you if you are an Ecotricity energy customer and you have not received your discount.
There may be some other limited circumstances where it would be appropriate for us to give you a refund if something goes wrong with your charging session. If you are unsure let us know.
How to claim your refund
If you think you’re entitled to a refund, let us know within 28 days of your charge session.
Give us a call on 01453 761455, 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, or Saturday 9am to 5pm, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
So that we can look into your refund request, we’ll need the following info from you:
- Date of charge
- Approximate time of charge
- Pump ID and the location
- Copy of the receipt
- Connector used if known
- Why you think you are entitled to a refund
How long does it take to get a refund?
We aim to respond to your refund request within 5 working days of receiving the request. If you’re eligible for a refund, we’ll process the refund straightaway, but it could take up to a further 10 working days to appear on your account.
Download the app
The must-have app for electric car drivers. Gives you access to Britain’s only national network of electricity pumps – the Electric Highway.