The Electric Highway: Our Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions tell you everything you need to know about what you should expect from us and what we expect from you when using the Electric Highway network (“Electricity Pumps”).
When you sign up to use The Electric Highway, you agree to these terms and conditions.
We’ve tried to make the document as easy as possible to understand, but if anything doesn’t make sense, just get in touch with us.
If you’re unable to access one of our pumps, you can contact us on 01453 761455. Our opening hours are 8.30am to 7pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 6pm on Friday, and 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday.
Using the Electricity Pumps
1. To use our Electricity Pumps, you need to register for The Electric Highway App (the “App”). There are some terms and conditions for the App too – you can find them below (the “App Terms”).
2. You can find out the location and availability of the nearest Electricity Pump using the App.
3. Other than for the possible reasons explained in paragraph 4 below, all of our Electricity Pumps are live and capable of dispensing a charge.
4. We aim to make our Electricity Pumps available at all times, but due to the nature of electrical charging services we cannot guarantee a continuous fault free service. Electricity Pumps may not be available due to electrical faults, telecommunication issues, temporary obstructions, as well as other conditions beyond our control. The network is extremely reliable, but obviously there may be occasions when they’re not working or require maintenance without notice.
5. We want to make sure there is reasonable use of the Electric Highway at all times, so you should promptly vacate the parking bay in which the Electricity Pump is located once you have finished charging your vehicle.
6. These are pretty obvious ones, but you must not:
a. tamper with the Electricity Pumps;
b. use the Electricity Pumps or the parking bay in which they are located for any purpose other than charging an electric vehicle;
c. connect any cable, adapter, connector, switch or other interface to an Electricity Pump which is not fit for purpose, and/or fully compliant with all relevant laws, regulations and specifications and any such use shall be entirely at your own risk;
d. use the Services in any manner which is (or which would have a purpose or effect which is) harmful, a nuisance, annoying, disruptive, inconvenient, unlawful, fraudulent or in connection with a criminal offence; or
e. act in any way such that the operation of the Electric Highway or any Electricity Pumps will be either jeopardised or impaired.
7. Different vehicles charge up at different rates, so you acknowledge that we have no control over the speed at which your own vehicle charges, or the amount of charge your battery can hold, whether in total or in part following a charging session.
Prices and payment
8. We think our pricing structure is fair and flexible. It’s pretty simple too. To use an Electricity Pump you’ll just pay a price per kWh of energy used.
9. You can find the up to date prices on the Electric Highway App. All prices are inclusive of VAT.
10. You’ll need to pay the unit charge by a debit or credit card.
11. Payment is required in advance, and so you agree that we can hold a payment £12 (or £6 for Ecotricity energy customers) (‘Reserved Payment’) to cover the charge session. On completion of the charge we will request for the units you have used only.
12. On completion of the charge, we will request payment for only the units that you have used. The Reserved Payment may show as held by your bank for up to six working days from the date of the charge.
Right of refusal
13. Electric vehicle drivers are a pretty ethical bunch, and frequently share our values. However, we do reserve the right to suspend access to the Electricity Pumps immediately if:
a. you breach any of these terms and conditions;
b. we believe an Electricity Pump has been used in an unauthorised, unlawful or fraudulent manner or may have been used for criminal activities;
c. there is an emergency, health and safety or security risk;
d. if for any reason we cease to operate an Electricity Pump or;
e. system maintenance is required;
f. for any other reason outside our control.
Changes to these terms
14. These terms and conditions guide the use of the Electric Highway, and it’s what you agree to when you sign up – but we do reserve the right to amend them at any time, if we need to. There are a few reasons why we might make some changes:
a. where a third party changes their terms;
b. due to changing technologies, obsolescence and new or different product or service features; or
c. due to the introduction of new or amended laws, regulations, policies or guidance.
15. Where we vary or change any of these terms and conditions, we’ll always do our best to give you as much notice as possible. Variations and/or changes will be effective once we’ve posted them on our website. By continuing to use the Electric Highway, you will be deemed to have accepted the relevant variation or change, so do take the opportunity to regularly check our website for updates. Where, in our opinion, any variation and/or change is likely to cause you material detriment, we’ll always give you at least 30 days’ notice. For the avoidance of doubt, any change in price will not be considered to be a material detriment and you can find our up-to-date prices on the Electric Highway App.
16. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit or exclude our liability for personal injury or death arising as a result of our negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation. Subject to this, neither we nor any of our respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees will be liable to you whether as a result of negligence, breach of contract or otherwise for:
a. a failure of an Electricity Pump or changes to the number or locations of our Electric Pumps;
b. third party damage to Electricity Pumps, vehicles or any other third party property;
c. the acts and omissions of our service partners including any loss or damage caused by your use of a third party cable, adapter, connector, switch or other interface which you have connected to an Electricity Pump;
d. any matter beyond our reasonable control, including force majeure; or
e. any indirect loss, loss of business, revenue, profit, or savings you expected to make, wasted expense, financial loss or data being lost or harmed or any other loss or consequential loss.
17. Subject to clause 14 and excluding any liability for death or personal injury, our liability, and the liability of our parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents and employees, to you is in any event limited to £10
18. You agree to indemnify us against all liabilities, claims, damages, losses and expenses arising from any breach by you of these terms and conditions.
19. Nothing in these terms shall affect any rights which you may have under any law and which cannot be excluded by agreement and your statutory rights are not affected.
Your personal information
20. To register for the App, you’ll need to provide the following (Personal Information):
- Full name;
- Email address;
- Phone number;
- Car registration number;
- Car make and model; and
- any personal identifier we have provided you with (your “Eco ID”)
21. We’ll retain and use your consumption data from your use of the Electric Highway – because it helps us to see how the Electricity Pumps are being used and gives us the insight we need to make improvements to the network.
22. Keeping your Personal Information up to date is important to maintain the security of your account, and it is your responsibility to let us know of any change to your Personal Information.
22. We will use your Personal Information to:
a. verify your identity when you contact us. We may monitor calls to make sure that we are meeting our legal and regulatory requirements and for staff training;
b. help us set up and otherwise administer your account;
c. contact you in any way (including by e-mail, phone, SMS or other forms of electronic communication) with up to date information on products and special offers from us and any companies in the same group as us or affiliates with which we have a partnership (unless you have specifically asked us not to);
d. for market and statistical analysis;
e. for demonstrating and testing the Electricity Pumps and any related computer systems; and
f. help detect and manage debt, fraud and loss.
24. You can opt out of marketing by emailing email@example.com or by writing to the Data Protection Officer, Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5 3BY.
26. These terms and conditions, together with the App Terms, constitute the entire agreement between you and us in relation to our Electricity Pumps. You agree that you have not relied on, and shall have no remedies in respect of, any representation, arrangement, understanding or agreement (whether written or oral) which is not expressly set out in these terms and conditions.
27. This agreement is subject to English law and the English Courts have exclusive jurisdiction
The Electric Highway Company Limited a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08370340 with their registered office at Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 3BY
Promotion: Half price charging for customers of Ecotricity
1. The Promoter is The Electric Highway Company Limited, Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, GL5 3BY
2. The offer is open to mainland UK residents aged 18 and over with a live Ecotricity domestic dual fuel account (or electricity only where there is no mains gas) at their home address.
3. There is only one offer per person per household, and it is for personal private use of the Electric Highway.
4. This offer is not available to business customers.
5. The offer is subject to your reasonable use of the Electric Highway in accordance with our terms and conditions and any other guidance published on our App. If we consider that your use is unreasonable we may terminate this offer immediately.
6. There is no cash alternative and the offer is non-transferable.
7. We may vary or withdraw this offer at any time without prior notice.
8. The offer gives Ecotricity customers 50% off charging on the Electric Highway.
* your energy account will be with The Renewable Energy Company Limited (trading as Ecotricity)
Our Refund Policy
Great customer service is not rocket science. It’s about having an honest and straightforward relationship with our customers. It’s about keeping our promises and fixing problems quickly when they occur.
The Electric Highway is the most comprehensive charging network in Europe – and we think it’s the best.
However, if something goes wrong at the pump and you think you require a refund, just get in touch with us. Here’s our policy:
Under what circumstances will you provide a refund?
We’ll refund you if you are an Ecotricity energy customer and you have not received your discount.
There may be some other limited circumstances where it would be appropriate for us to give you a refund if something goes wrong with your charging session. If you are unsure let us know.
How to claim your refund
If you think you’re entitled to a refund, let us know within 28 days of your charge session.
Give us a call on 01453 761455. We're open 8.30am to 7pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 6pm on Friday, and 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
So that we can look into your refund request, we’ll need the following info from you:
- Date of charge
- Approximate time of charge
- Pump ID and the location
- Copy of the receipt
- Connector used if known
- Why you think you are entitled to a refund
How long does it take to get a refund?
We aim to respond to your refund request within 5 working days of receiving the request. If you’re eligible for a refund, we’ll process the refund straightaway, but it could take up to a further 10 working days to appear on your account.
The Electric Highway App Terms and Conditions
1. Information about us: The Electric Highway Company Limited (“TEHC”), a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08370340, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ecotricity Group Limited (“Ecotricity”), a company registered in England and Wales under company number 03521776, both with registered offices is at Lion House, Rowcroft, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 3BY.
2. Welcome to our online application (the “App“). The App is published by or on behalf of TEHC and Ecotricity and is part of Ecotricity’s customer online account management system (“Ecocloud”). You may use the same login information (your “Eco ID”) for every part of Ecocloud including the App.
4. When you use the App you agree to comply with all applicable UK laws (“Applicable Laws”) and these Terms. In particular you agree not to:
(a) use the App in any unlawful manner or in a manner which promotes or encourages illegal activity including copyright infringement or fraud; or
(b) attempt to gain unauthorised access to the App or any source code, networks, servers or computer systems connected to the App; or
(c) modify, adapt, translate or reverse engineer any part of the App or re-format or frame any portion of the pages comprising the App, save to the extent expressly permitted by these Terms or by law.
5. The trade marks and logos (“Trade Marks“) contained on or in the App are owned or licensed by Ecotricity or its group companies. You are not permitted to use, copy, edit, vary, reproduce, publish, display, distribute, store, transmit, commercially exploit or disseminate the Trade Marks without our prior written consent.
6. The copyright in all material contained on, in, or available through the App including all information, data, text, music, sound, photographs, graphics and video messages, the selection and arrangement thereof, and all source code, software compilations and other material (“Material“) is owned by or licensed to Ecotricity or its group companies. All rights are reserved. You can view, print or download extracts of the Material for your own personal use but you cannot otherwise copy, edit, vary, reproduce, publish, display, distribute, store, transmit, commercially exploit, disseminate in any form whatsoever or use the Material without express prior permission.
7. We reserve the right to suspend or cease providing any of the App services, with or without notice or any reason, and shall have no liability or responsibility to you in any manner whatsoever if we choose to do so.
8. Use of the App is at your own risk. To the maximum extent permitted by law we disclaim (a) all liability whatsoever, whether arising in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise in relation to the App; and (b) all implied warranties, terms and conditions relating to the App (whether implied by statue, common law or otherwise), including (without limitation) any warranty, term or condition as to accuracy, completeness, satisfactory quality, performance, fitness for purpose or any special purpose, availability, non infringement, information accuracy, interoperability are hereby excluded. We accept no responsibility for any technical failure of the internet, the App and/or any other systems associated with or connected to the App. Your statutory rights are not affected and nothing in these Terms shall be construed as excluding or limiting our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence.
9. We will not be liable to you, in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence), under statute or otherwise, as a result of or in connection with the App, for any:
(i) economic loss (including, without limitation, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings); or
(ii) loss of goodwill or reputation; or
(iii) special or indirect or consequential loss.
Notwithstanding this, if Ecotricity is found to be liable to you directly or indirectly in relation to the App that liability (howsoever arising) shall not exceed fifty pounds (£50.00)
10. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and Ecotricity concerning your use of the App.
11. We reserve the right to update these Terms from time to time. The updated version will be effective on publication. You are responsible for regularly reviewing these Terms so that you are aware of any changes to them and you will be bound by the new policy upon your continued use of the App. No other variation to these Terms shall be effective unless in writing and signed by an authorised representative of Ecotricity.
13. Unless otherwise expressly stated, nothing in the Terms shall create any rights or any other benefits whether pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise in favour of any person other than you, Ecotricity and its group of companies.
14. These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Download the app
The must-have app for electric car drivers. Gives you access to Britain’s only national network of electricity pumps – the Electric Highway.