Check your connector and your user manual, but if you have a Nissan, Citroen, Mitsubishi or Peugeot, then you’ll need to use our DC CHAdeMO chargers.
1. Starting a charge session
- Firstly, make sure your vehicle is fully switched off.
- The electricity pump screen will show “Welcome! To charge your car use the Electric Highway smartphone app”.
- Then simply use our car charging app to begin charging. You’ll need to follow the instructions until you’re prompted to scan the QR codes (or enter the location ID manually) found on the front of the charging pump.
- Using the app, select which connector to use to charge your vehicle.
- You’ll then be prompted to confirm the stored card to use to pay for the charging session.
- Follow the instructions on the charging pump screen, to see how to connect your vehicle.
- Now insert the connector into your vehicle by holding the grey handle and firmly pushing the connector into the socket. The black trigger on the underside will automatically lift up and then you can just slot it into the grey rectangular sleeve also found on the underside of the connector. The cable should now be firmly locked in place, and should not release from the vehicle if pulled on.
- To start the charge, simply press one of the buttons on either side of the “Start Charging” band shown on the pump screen.
- After checking your vehicle's dashboard (where applicable) to confirm charging is in progress, you’re then able to leave your vehicle. You’ll be able to view the progress of your charging session on your app.
2. Ending a charge session
- Once the charge has ended, “Your charge session is complete” will be shown on your app screen. At this point you can return to your vehicle to disconnect the charging cable.
- Follow the instructions on the charging pump screen to disconnect your vehicle.
- Locate the black trigger on the underside of the charge point, and the grey rectangular sleeve holding it in place.
- Pull the grey sleeve back (it’s on a spring) and once it’s all the way back, press the black button on top of the connector.
- There’s no need to touch the black trigger during this process – this will release automatically when the above procedure is followed.
- If the connector doesn’t release straight away, try gently squeezing on the black trigger or pulling on the grey ridged section at the base of the connector before trying again.
- Simply hang the charger back up and press one of the buttons on either side of the “Return To Start” band shown on the charger screen.
- You can then use the app to indicate that you’ve disconnected from the pump. You’ll then see a screen summarising your payment.
- You’ll then be emailed a receipt.
If you want to finish your charging session early:
- On your app, select ‘Stop session early’.
- You’ll be prompted to check that you’re sure you want to finish early, as you still need to pay for the session you have used so far.
- Once you’ve confirmed finishing your session early, you can follow the instructions on the charging pump screen to disconnect your vehicle (and the remaining steps above).
Download the app
The must-have app for electric car drivers. Gives you access to Britain’s only national network of electricity pumps – the Electric Highway.