Safe use of gas appliances

If gas appliances and other gas fittings haven’t been properly installed or maintained, this could lead to gas leaks and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

  • Don't use any gas appliances that you think aren't working properly
  • Make sure that ventilation bricks, grilles or outside flues are never covered or blocked
  • Make sure your gas appliances are serviced at least once a year by a Gas Safe Register™ engineer
  • Fit a carbon monoxide detector
  • Don't allow unqualified people to install or maintain your appliance.

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak

  • Check if the pilot light has gone out. If any gas appliances have been left on, turn them off. If the pilot light is still on and your gas appliances are all off there may be a gas escape.
  • Turn the main gas tap on the pipe leading into the meter to the ‘OFF’ position. The supply is off when the ridged line on the spindle is across the pipe.
  • Call the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999. Do not phone from a mobile phone as this may ignite a spark. Use a neighbour's phone, or take a mobile phone outdoors, to call the emergency services.
  • Open doors and windows to clear the gas.
  • Do not turn light switches on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones, or any other electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't leave it to someone else to call – you could be putting yourself or others at risk.