Our environmental policy
Ecotricity’s purpose in life is to bring about environmental improvement by changing the way energy is made and used in the UK.
In so doing we recognise that our activities will have an environmental impact of their own.
And while we believe that actions will always speak louder than words, we acknowledge that sometimes words are required – so here are some of the principles that guide us – our environmental policy if you like:
- We seek maximum environmental gain for minimum environmental impact – in all that we do
- We intend to continually reduce our own environmental impact
- In any apparent conflict between the environment and money – we put the environment first
- We take into account ethical and social issues, biodiversity and sustainability when making all strategic and operational decisions.
We seek to continuously improve and reduce the impacts of our own activities, through for example:
- The reduction of consumption
- The use of alternative materials and processes
- The use of technology (existing and yet to come)
- And by encouraging and pursuing behavioural change, from both within our organisation and from without.
We will not work with organisations directly involved in:
- Factory farming, animal slaughter, animal testing, arms, tobacco, nuclear power, shale gas fracking, GMO’s or anything else we consider to be unethical, immoral or just plain wrong.
To help us achieve our goals we will develop an environmental management system - within our EMS we'll set ourselves targets, work to prevent pollution and manage our compliance with environmental regulations.
We’ll make sure that everyone working for Ecotricity is aware of this environmental policy and how they can help implement it. By publishing this we're making our commitment public.
Last reviewed 18 July 2018
If you would like to find out more about Ecotricity’s environmental performance please have a look at our Environmental Statement 2017: